Monday 10 September 2012

Blue Bread

Last week I alluded to my homemade blue bread.

I got the idea for making coloured bread out of my bread machine recipe book, from a recipe for beetroot bread (don't knock it 'til you try it!). The bread naturally comes out pink because of the beetroot. There was another recipe for lemon poppyseed bread, which gave me the idea of adding yellow food colouring to it to make it look more lemony. Since then I've been experimenting with plain white bread loaves dyed various colours.

After bidding on and winning a monster sandwich cutter on ebay, I put a bread mix and some blue food colouring into the bread maker in preparation for making blue monster sandwiches.

The day I made these was a rather rushed day, so the contents of the lunch are nothing special: blueberries, an orange, a jelly (jello), a cheese, a bag of crisps and a juice. And the sandwich of course (ham). The monster cutter came with a press for pressing a monster face into the bread, but the freshness (I'm assuming) of the bread did not lend itself to retaining the face marks. I tried painting blue food colouring onto the press and then pressing but got big blue smudges instead. Finally, I painted on the face with a clean paintbrush and food colouring. It didn't come out perfectly, but I'm now on a mission to work out the best way of painting this face onto bread. Watch this space!

(Any of your genius ideas are very much welcome!)


No comments:

Post a Comment