Friday 28 September 2012

They Learn By Example

6.30 came too early for me yesterday morning.

My alarm went off six times before I actually dragged myself out of bed and fumbled my way around the obstacle course of laundry baskets in my bedroom to the kitchen. There I found Feebz, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, already eating her self-poured bowl of Rice Krispies with sliced banana.

I began the morning routine of unloading and reloading the dishwasher. Feebz asked what she was having for lunch. It reminded me to turn the oven on for her popcorn chicken, which I did. Through my morning haze, I continued my chores and barely noticed what Feebz was up to.


I like that this shot came out blurry. It's how I saw it too.

She was making her lunch herself.

She had gotten out the grapes, cucumber, string cheese, Wotsits and juice boxes herself. She opened the bag of Wotsits and put some in a tub. She got out the cutting board herself (and I got out the Pampered Chef child-safe knife for her) and sliced the cucumber and put it in a tub. She put a few grapes in the tub - "The chicken can go in beside the grapes", she informed me. She even got out the ketchup herself and squeezed some of it into a tub. All I did was get out the strawberries for her so she could put some of them in a tub.

Wow.

Once the popcorn chicken came out of the oven, she put that in with the grapes, and there we had it, her lunch was made. All by herself.


I love that she used tubs for everything.

Her little sister, not to be shown up, had to make her own "snack lunch", as she calls it. (As in "packed lunch".) She took the rest of the Wotsits (in the bag), some grapes and strawberries,some chicken, a juice, and a string cheese and packed her own bento box.


She also chopped a huge chunk of cucumber, but it never made its way into the box.


Basically, it was a pretty easy morning for me, and thank goodness. I was not in a lunchbox frame of mind.

And thanks to them, I got my dishes done too!


Two proud little girls.






No comments:

Post a Comment