Sunday 30 September 2012

May the Fork Be With You

As a parent, you're always asking yourself, "Am I doing the right thing? Are my children going to grow up with a sense of right and wrong? Am I teaching them what's important in life?"

Then, every now and again, you get one of those break-through moments when you know you are on the right track.

Like when your five year old daughter asks to watch The Empire Strikes Back before bed on a Friday night. It's those kinda things that let you know you've done something right.

So in honour of our Star Wars weekend, I baked a loaf of green oat and linseed bread (which, typically, didn't come out as green as I hoped) and made Yoda sandwiches for lunch.

Oh by the way, notice how this is Sunday night? Yeah, I actually made lunch the night before! Such a good mum! Except I didn't iron any school uniforms, so there's that.


Now, I had really high hopes and visions for this lunch, most of which went to the place where dreams go to die. I was going to do a Cinnamon Bun Leia, a Boiled Egg Stormtrooper and this very intricate avocado shell and rice Darth Vader (which died a horrible death in the making, but at least spurred me on to make this lunch too). All that made it, however, was Yoda. Which kinda makes sense, because the Force was with him.

What you see above is a Yoda cheese sandwich, with cheese eyes (with pupils that did not work as planned - again, fail - thanks to the edible ink pen which did NOT work), plum cherry tomatoes, Oddbits crackers and cocktail sausages, all on the bottom, and on the top, cucumber stars, Mikado Lightsabers, raisins, chocolate cake (which I also tried to turn into a Darth Vader, but man, it so wasn't happening!) and prunes (yes, my kids love prunes. We call them 'dried plums' and they don't know the difference). For snack, there is the granola bar and of course the apple juice.

(Have I mentioned my rabbit's name is Chewbacca?)

This was an incredibly fun lunch to make, and there are so many ideas floating through my head, I can promise you more where this came from. Especially since I ordered these on ebay about an hour ago.

(I have a serious problem with buying crap on ebay. I need support.)


Q: How is Duct tape like the Force?
A: It has a Dark Side, a Light side and it binds the galaxy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment